The Major Container Terminal (MCT) is located on 259 acres of property leased from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in Port Newark, NJ.
This new maintenance building required completion as quickly as possible as the existing building did not meet the height requirements to accommodate the new straddle carriers
The facility handles more than 600,000 container units annually. The Major Container Terminal hired KCC to be the general contractor for the fast-track construction of MCT’s Light Duty Straddle Carrier Shop (LDSS), which was specifically designed for the maintenance and repair of MCT’s new “one over three” straddle carrier fleet. This new maintenance building required completion as quickly as possible as the existing building did not meet the height requirements needed to accommodate the new straddle carriers, which require a 55-foot-tall entrance door.
- New 94-foot-wide by 124-foot-long LDSS building
- The footprint of the building was shoe-horned into a very tight site
- 70-foot-tall structure had to be constructed in an operating container terminal which could not have its 24/7 operations interrupted
- KCC rerouted existing utilities and infrastructure in order to make way for the new building
- Steel H-piles were driven approximately 60 feet deep to provide deep foundation support and uplift resistance for the tall building
- Construction of reinforced concrete pile caps, grade beams, and piers that support the steel superstructure